21 July 2012

Go!

I mean, STOP! Ok, now go!  Kind of.

Annie did a great job summarizing the past few days.  We've already had numerous learning experiences and are well on our way to transitioning from amateur cyclists to pros.  Something I've really taken to heart:  Train. Train. Train.  It turns out Annie is a much stronger cyclist than I am, and "flat" places aren't actually flat at all.  As it stands, ugh, my body hurts.  A wasp stung me on the first day; I fell on the second; and I hit some of the steepest hills of my life on the third.  Even so, I'm having the time of my life.  We've met so many kind strangers and learned to push ourselves beyond what we thought was possible.  Yesterday I was ready to give up.  I was sitting on the side of the road, no water, halfway up the steepest hill EVER after miles of steep hills.  I was really discouraged after learning I'd gotten off my route, which added a few miles to my day. I was in a negative place.  But after some kind encouragement from David, I walked up the second half of the hill and a green "Welcome to Madison" sign greeted me.  I was so elated that I had no trouble cycling the last few miles to Sam's house.  And it was mostly downhill.  

Annie is remembering to take pictures more often than I, but here's what I've been able to document:

Getting ready and installing our panniers.

Packed and ready (?) to go.

Drenched in a thunderstorm.  So damp.

That's right: we camped there.

Annie and Dolly had a brief romance.

Country architecture.

We're both still learning how to access our paniers while still straddling the bike.  It's harder than it looks!

So suave.

Sometimes it's so pretty we just have to stop to admire.

See the hills?

This path is flat, the day was wind-free, and the scenery is breathtaking.  If only it was paved....



No comments:

Post a Comment