22 June 2010

. . . And the Wisdom to Know the Difference.

God grant me the
serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living
one day
at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.



--Reinhold
Niebuhr



I'm not exactly a religious person, but sometimes the religious thinkers say it best.  I've had something come up at school that I find offensive and unprofessional, and I was trying to change it; however, after many roads have been blocked and losing my last asset to what I see as university politics, I think it's time to accept that I cannot and will not be able to do anything about the situation.  It's time to move on, try to enjoy what time I have left here, and shake the dust of Brazil from my feet when I leave.  So goes life, and I suppose now is as good a time as any to learn how to accept injustice in one's life. 

So I offer this to whoever reads my blog:  Sometimes the cause you're fighting for is completely worth it, but even so it's possible to remain powerless.  Do as the disciples did and put the situation and the people from your mind.  Just move on to the next thing.

(But if you can make a difference, do!)

No comments:

Post a Comment